The Central African nation of Gabon has suspended access to major social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and WhatsApp, as the government seeks to curb unrest sparked by an ongoing teachers’ strike.
The High Authority for Communication (HAC), Gabon’s media regulator, announced the blackout on Tuesday, warning that the proliferation of “inappropriate, defamatory, hateful, and insulting content” threatened “social cohesion, the stability of the republic’s institutions, and national security.”
HAC spokesperson Jean-Claude Mendome claimed the suspension targeted the spread of false information, cyberbullying and unauthorised disclosure of personal data.
“Freedom of expression must align with national and international law,” he said.
digital rights groups, along with organisations like UNESCO, warn that social media shutdowns can limit free expression, block access to information, and disrupt economic activity.
Nevertheless, the HAC pushed back when it emphasised that freedom of expression, including the right to critique and comment, remains protected under Gabonese law.
The strike, which began in December 2025 over pay and working conditions, has spread across other public sectors, including healthcare, higher education, and broadcasting.
President Gen Brice Oligui Nguema, who took office following a 2023 military coup, faces growing pressure from civil servants and young people increasingly active on social media.
Internet monitoring group NetBlocks reported that while most providers blocked access to the platforms, Gabon Telecom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, allowed very limited connectivity.
Local businesses are already feeling the impact, with a Libreville restaurant owner telling the BBC that almost 40% of his customers discovered his services via social media, and the suspension would hurt his revenue.
"We are entering a phase where we don't even know if we are moving forward with global development or if we are sliding backward into total underdevelopment," he said.
A taxi driver also interviewed by the BBC, however, appeared to support the government’s internet blackout. “For the authorities to take such a decision, something must have certainly prompted it,” he stated.
Gabon is not alone on the continent in restricting social media. Tanzania blocked platforms during a deadly election last year, while Uganda also imposed periodic shutdowns during last month’s fiercely contested general election.
Share
