MTN to challenge developers with second MoMo API Hackathon
MTN Group’s Mobile Money Application Interface (API) is inviting developers across several markets to participate in an Open API Hackathon, with a challenge to create a mobile application that uses MoMo APIs for rollout in their markets.
The hackathon will run from 18 July until 9 September 2022, and will take place in eSwatini, Zambia, Congo Brazzaville, Rwanda, Uganda, Cameroon, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana and Guinea Conakry.
Developers will compete to create an innovative application for the markets in which they are registered, which can process financial transactions with added capabilities that go beyond processing payments and drive both financial inclusion and literacy.
Serigne Dioum, MTN Group Chief Fintech Officer, said, “MTN is committed to extending financial and digital inclusion across the continent in furtherance of its strategy to build a pan-African Fintech platform that will power the digital economy and serve as a catalyst for social and economic growth in Africa.”
Dioum added, “With our Open API Platform, we reach out to Africa’s resourceful talents and enable them to grow and create opportunities by leveraging our MoMo Platform. We have no doubt that it is by collaborating with the talents of Africa that we will expand the service offering available on MoMo."
MTN has stipulated the rules of the challenge:
- Developers will have four weeks to submit their idea of an innovative financial and transactional app that must include the usage of MTN Mobile Money APIs.
- The developers are required to create a mobile application that uses MTN MoMo APIs; the mobile application needs to target consumers, merchants or businesses.
- The application must provide a practical and valuable solution that can be deployed in the market where the applicants have registered and can cover use cases beyond payment but must utilise MTN MoMo APIs.
- MTN in each participating country will select the top 12 applicants to progress to the prototyping phase.
- The preselected applicants will be required to make a live demo of their application to the adjudicator.
- Finalists stand the chance to win up to US$5000 in prize money in their respective country.