Zim still in favour of SMS
Zim still in favour of SMS
Mobile subscribers in Zimbabwe may be taking up instant messaging services like WhatsApp and Facebook with great enthusiasm, but telcos in the country are still securing significant revenues from the SMS platform and continue to run promotions to encourage continued usage of the traditional text message platform
Often described as disruptive to the telecoms industry, instant messaging and social networking applications have slowly taken over the non-voice category - with Facebook announcing Thursday that as many as 7 million people in South Africa access the social networking site everyday.
In Zimbabwe, the text messaging platforming has not experienced the 'quick death' many have predicted. A telecommunications official told ITWeb Africa on Friday that mobile companies are pushing for maximum utilisation of their network platforms.
"The text message is being utilised because not everyone has a smartphone. Corporates and other organisations are also significant users," said the official.
Telecel Zimbabwe on Friday announced an SMS promotion for its subscribers. Other private players like Econet and NetOne also offer discounts on SMS bundles where users can send up to as many as 100 SMSes for a $1 topped up.
"Telecel has a history of offering value through huge discounts and bonuses. We have decided to continue that tradition of sharing value with our customers," said Telecel Zimbabwe chief commercial officer, Nkosinathi Ncube.
Zimbabwe's telecommunications operators, forced to reduce voice tariffs to about 15 cents per minute earlier this year, have engaged in price wars.
Tariff reductions have been put in place in light of declining revenues. The state telecoms regulator, the Posts and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz) said last week that cheaper internet based communication applications were a major threat for telcos than the enforced tariff reductions.