Read time: 3 minutes

Rwandan youth turn to Google Hangouts for debate

By , IT in government editor
Rwanda , 07 Feb 2014

Rwandan youth turn to Google Hangouts for debate

Rwandan youth have been urged to participate in debates on social media networks based on a bi-monthly ‘YouthConnekt’ Hangout programme live on YouTube.

The YouthConnekt Hangout is an initiative of the ministry of youth and ICT (MYICT) and serves to connect young Rwandans and increase their participation in the country’s socio-economic transformation.

The online live debate happens every two weeks and young people across the East African country and abroad can share their views, and ask officials questions in order to find solutions for challenges that the country faces in line with development goals, says a statement from MYICT.

The platform uses Google Hangout technology in combination with other social media channels and SMS to connect young people.

And according to the ministry, last week’s discussion was about the role of mobile applications in Rwanda and how the youth can create mobile application technologies to solve socio-economic problems.

Rwanda’s minister of youth and ICT, Jean Philbert Nsengimana has said the YouthConnekt Hangout serves as an opportunity for young people to find solutions for problems in their communities.

“The Hangout brings opportunities to young people of Rwanda and beyond, the role of mobile technologies especially mobile application today,” he said.

Nsengimana also stressed that the role of mobile applications can be crucial in different sectors as Rwanda stays in a process of transformation, moving from an agriculture based economy to ICT activities.

The next YouthConnekt Hangout is scheduled to take place on Tuesday February 11th, 2014 from 4:00PM.

Daily newsletter