BBM launch for Android, Apple suspended
BBM launch for Android, Apple suspended
Smartphone maker BlackBerry has failed to deliver on its promise of fully launching its messaging application for Apple and Android devices on the weekend.
Last week the struggling Canadian smartphone maker said that BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) would be available as a free download for Android smartphones on September 21, while Apple iPhone users would be able to download the app on September 22.
But after a leaked version of the Android version of the app was released, the smartphone maker has decided to temporarily suspend the launch of the application.
“Prior to launching BBM for Android, an unreleased version of the BBM for Android app was posted online,” said BlackBerry on its blog on Saturday.
“Consequently, this unreleased version caused issues, which we have attempted to address throughout the day.
“We are pausing the global roll-out of BBM for Android and iPhone. Customers who have already downloaded BBM for iPhone will be able to continue to use BBM. The unreleased Android app will be disabled, and customers who downloaded it should visit www.BBM.com to register for updates on official BBM for Android availability.”
“As soon as we are able, we will begin a staggered country roll-out of BBM for Android and continue the roll-out of BBM for iPhone,” it reads.